Types of Insurance

Top tips

  • Before purchasing insurance you should ensure that the insurer is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission or authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to sell insurance. For motor insurance, check that the insurer also appears on the Authorised Motor Insurers list. Further information on Authorised Motor Insurers can be found on the Commission's 'Buying Motor Insurance Direct' page.
  • The Channel Islands are not part of the UK or members of the European Union and may be specifically excluded from cover that may be available to those living in the UK. For example, if you live in the Channel Islands, you are not eligible for a European Health Insurance Card. If in any doubt on the cover that will be provided by an insurance policy, ask your insurance broker and check the policy documents.
  • If you choose to buy insurance through a comparison website, please be aware that UK insurers are not always able to offer quotes for Bailiwick residents.
  • Some insurance policies are compulsory, for example, motor insurance if you drive a vehicle. Under Guernsey Law there is an additional requirement for you to display a Windscreen Insurance Disc on your motor vehicle. More information on this can be found on the Commission's 'Buying Motor Insurance Direct' page.
  • If buying travel insurance, check whether your policy includes all your travel, including transiting through the UK with overnight stays.

Insurance is something you can purchase to protect yourself against various risks. There are two main types: life insurance and general insurance.

Life insurance is insurance that would pay out a sum of money to beneficiaries in the event of the policy holder’s death.

General insurance protects the policy holder against losses and damages other than those covered by life insurance, for example, motor, buildings, household contents, travel, critical illness and private health insurance.

If you would like to learn more about the different types of insurance, and the circumstances in which you might need insurance, the UK’s Money Advice Service website provides some very useful information. Some links can be found below:

Money Helper - Insurance